

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingledine; [mailto: (b) (6)]; Sho Ho
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: RE: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:06:00 PM

Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [mailto: (b) (6)]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:19 AM
To: Kelly DeYoe; Sho Ho; (b) (6)
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: Getting together Oct 7?

Hi folks,

A) I'm going to be in town Oct 5-6 for an NSF grant review panel. Any interest in getting together on Oct 7?

B) We've been hearing rumors of massive crackdowns in Iran in the past week -- the "all ssl is blocked again" sort of rumors. We're having difficulty finding clueful people on the inside who have tested, though. Do you have any useful rumors on your side?

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Sho Ho](#); [REDACTED]
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:39:29 PM

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:24:08PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06:00PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:

> > Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

>

> Works for me.

Shall I show up at noon then? 13:00? 11:00? Let me know what time is good for you.

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Sho Ho](#); [REDACTED] (b) (6)
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:39:29 PM

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:24:08PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06:00PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:

> > Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

>

> Works for me.

Shall I show up at noon then? 13:00? 11:00? Let me know what time is good for you.

--Roger

From: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Sho Ho](#); [Ken Berman](#); (b) (6)
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:48:25 AM

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> B) We've been hearing rumors of massive crackdowns in Iran in the past
> week -- the "all ssl is blocked again" sort of rumors. We're having
> difficulty finding clueful people on the inside who have tested,
> though. Do you have any useful rumors on your side?

We haven't seen nor heard anything like this, and the stats for our
SSL-based web proxies don't show any big drop offs like we would expect
should all SSL be blocked.

-k

From: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Ken Berman](#); [Sho Ho](#); (b) (6)
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:45:21 AM

I'll be there too.

-k

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06:00PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:

>> Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

>

> Works for me.

>

> --Roger

>

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingleline
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; Sho Ho; (b) (6)
Subject: RE: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:25:45 PM

Thanks, just thinking out loud....

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingleline [mailto:(b) (6)]
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:41 AM
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; Sho Ho; (b) (6)
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06:00PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

Hi Ken,

You mentioned yesterday that you get some push-back from people wondering "what about bad people" with respect to Tor.

A first answer is here:

<https://www.torproject.org/faq-abuse.html.en#WhatAboutCriminals>

A second answer is: if you have specific people in mind, I'd be happy to come chat with them and walk them through who uses Tor, why bad people are already doing fine, etc. For example, here are the slides I'm using for my FBI talk today:

<http://freehaven.net/~arma/slides-fbi-oct09.pdf>

--Roger

From: Roger Dingleline
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; Sho Ho: [REDACTED] (b) (6)
Subject: Re: Getting together Oct 7?
Date: Thursday, October 08, 2009 11:41:09 AM

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 04:06:00PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Oct 7 works for me. Lunch??

Hi Ken,

You mentioned yesterday that you get some push-back from people wondering "what about bad people" with respect to Tor.

A first answer is here:

<https://www.torproject.org/faq-abuse.html.en#WhatAboutCriminals>

A second answer is: if you have specific people in mind, I'd be happy to come chat with them and walk them through who uses Tor, why bad people are already doing fine, etc. For example, here are the slides I'm using for my FBI talk today:

<http://freehaven.net/~arma/slides-fbi-oct09.pdf>

--Roger

From: Jeff Gillis
To: Roger Dingledine; Dorothy Chou; Damian Menscher; Jason Mansfield
Cc: (b) (6); Minnie Ingersoll; Kelly DeYoe; Mike Perry
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:24:09 AM

+Dorothy Chou and a few Goog engineers collaborating with us.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:23 AM, Jeff Gillis <(b) (6)> wrote:

> Roger, Mike, this is fantastic. Thanks.
>
> Roger, let's try to make Wednesday afternoon work. We're free at 2pm.
> Is that time possible?
>
> Andrew, Mike, feel free to call in - up to you all and Roger. We can
> do another meeting next week as well.
>
> The dial in number is (b) (6)
> int (b) (6)
> passcode (b) (6)
>
> We'll circle on the best googlers to attend, and reach out to the
> people you referred us. Thanks much.
>
> Best,
> Jeff

>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Roger Dingledine <(b) (6)> wrote:

>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 03:07:23AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

>>> We know an increasing number of people at Google, so I bet with some
>>> more details about which direction you're thinking I'll be able to name
>>> another half dozen useful people. :)

>>

>> Here are some more:

>>

>> - You should look up the attendees of the "Circumvention Tech Summit
>> at Google" in Dec 2009. Sergey even made a surprise appearance during
>> lunch. :)

>>

>> - Dorothy Chou <(b) (6)> is working on the Google Transparency
>> project. Tor has also been collecting data about the use of Tor and
>> (indirectly) about censorship:

>> <https://metrics.torproject.org/>

>> E.g.

>> <https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=eg&dpi=72#direct-users>

>> <https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=ir&dpi=72#direct-users>

>> Dorothy apparently has a number crunching stats team that would be
>> interested in our data.

>>

>> - Ben Laurie <(b) (6)> is in the security group, and knows and
>> likes Tor.

>>

>> - Chris DiBona <(b) (6)> and the open source programs office
>> like us. They even funded the design and prototyping of our secure

>> updating design a few years back:
>> <http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/03/thandy-secure-update-for-tor.html>
>>
>> --Roger
>>
>>
>

From: Jeff Gillis
To: Roger Dingledine
Cc: (b) (6); Minnie Ingersoll; Kelly DeYoe; Mike Perry
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:23:08 AM

Roger, Mike, this is fantastic. Thanks.

Roger, let's try to make Wednesday afternoon work. We're free at 2pm. Is that time possible?

Andrew, Mike, feel free to call in - up to you all and Roger. We can do another meeting next week as well.

The dial in number is (b) (6)
int (b) (6)
passcode (b) (6)

We'll circle on the best googlers to attend, and reach out to the people you referred us. Thanks much.

Best,
Jeff

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Roger Dingledine <(b) (6)> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 03:07:23AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> We know an increasing number of people at Google, so I bet with some
>> more details about which direction you're thinking I'll be able to name
>> another half dozen useful people. :)
>
> Here are some more:
>
> - You should look up the attendees of the "Circumvention Tech Summit
> at Google" in Dec 2009. Sergey even made a surprise appearance during
> lunch. :)
>
> - Dorothy Chou <(b) (6)> is working on the Google Transparency
> project. Tor has also been collecting data about the use of Tor and
> (indirectly) about censorship:
> <https://metrics.torproject.org/>
> E.g.
> <https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=eq&dpi=72#direct-users>
> <https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=ir&dpi=72#direct-users>
> Dorothy apparently has a number crunching stats team that would be
> interested in our data.
>
> - Ben Laurie <(b) (6)> is in the security group, and knows and
> likes Tor.
>
> - Chris DiBona <(b) (6)> and the open source programs office
> like us. They even funded the design and prototyping of our secure
> updating design a few years back:
> <http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/03/thandy-secure-update-for-tor.html>
>
> --Roger

From: Roger Dingledine
To: Jeff Gillis
Cc: (b) (6); Minnie Ingersoll; Kelly DeYoe; Mike Perry
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:29:40 AM

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 03:07:23AM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> We know an increasing number of people at Google, so I bet with some
> more details about which direction you're thinking I'll be able to name
> another half dozen useful people. :)

Here are some more:

- You should look up the attendees of the "Circumvention Tech Summit at Google" in Dec 2009. Sergey even made a surprise appearance during lunch. :)

- Dorothy Chou <(b) (6)> is working on the Google Transparency project. Tor has also been collecting data about the use of Tor and (indirectly) about censorship:

<https://metrics.torproject.org/>

E.g.

<https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=eg&dpi=72#direct-users>

<https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?graph=direct-users&start=2010-12-01&end=2011-04-18&country=ir&dpi=72#direct-users>

Dorothy apparently has a number crunching stats team that would be interested in our data.

- Ben Laurie <(b) (6)> is in the security group, and knows and likes Tor.

- Chris DiBona <(b) (6)> and the open source programs office like us. They even funded the design and prototyping of our secure updating design a few years back:

<http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/03/thandy-secure-update-for-tor.html>

--Roger

From: [Mike Perry](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Jeff Gillis](#); (b) (6); [Minnie Ingersoll](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:03:58 AM
Attachments: [Untitled attachment 00004.dat](#)

Thus spake Roger Dingledine ((b) (6))

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:50:05AM -0700, Jeff Gillis wrote:
> I'm actually in the bay area right now. I just finished a talk at
> Berkeley, and tomorrow I'm teaching a class at Stanford (Dan Boneh is
> teaching a grad-level seminar on Tor, anonymity, and circumvention). I
> think I can arrange my schedule to drop by Google on Wednesday afternoon.
>
> > Also, if there's a contact that you have here at Google, would you
> > let us know so we can include them as well?
>
> I usually find it a good idea to cc Niels Provos < (b) (6) >
> on everything I do re Google.
>
> We had a good meeting with Linus Upson < (b) (6) > the
> head of the Chrome team, in April of last year. He wants to bundle
> a Tor client in every Chrome, but I'm not sure Tor is ready for
> that level of deployment yet (mainly because a Tor *client* in
> every relay means the network will handle these clients even less
> well). We've also been working with the Chrome team to change Chrome's
> APIs so it is possible to keep Tor users safe when they use Chrome:
> <https://blog.torproject.org/blog/google-chrome-incognito-mode-tor-and-fingerprinting>
> I'm cc'ing Mike Perry here, who is the Tor person working in this
> direction.

Heh, yeah. I'm heading in several directions, actually. This is certainly one of them. :)

I am cautiously optimistic about supporting large numbers of clients, depending upon the approach.

There are technical R&D barriers to scaling the number of relays on the timescales where Tor would be usable with Chrome, but we still have a whole lot of room to scale capacities of existing relays on that timescale. We have the ability to squeeze 1Gbit through a single 1U tor router, for example... We just can't support more than say, 10000 of such relays. But I think that would be enough..

> > Do you and Roger have an hour this week or next? You could let me know a few
> > times and I can set it up from there. Wednesday between 2-4:30p is open if
> > that is good for you, otherwise, we can work around your schedule.

Which office would this be? SF or Mountain View? I would love to be in on this.

--

Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist
fscked.org evil labs

From: Roger Dingledine
To: Jeff Gillis
Cc: (b) (6); Minnie Tingersoll; Kelly DeYoe; Mike Perry
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:07:23 AM

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:50:05AM -0700, Jeff Gillis wrote:

> Greetings from Google! I'm working with a team here on how Google should
> approach and think about assisting end user online privacy. We've been
> discussing the theme with the BBG as well and Tor came up, and Google and
> Tor <<http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-and-tor-project.html>> obviously
> have a great relationship. We'd would love to discuss what Tor is
> doing currently and just have an informational meeting with you. It would
> also be interesting to hear your reactions from a technology standpoint to
> current internet access in various regions around the world, and get input
> from you, if any, on what role you could see Google playing or how we could
> help.
>
> We heard that Roger Dingledine might be good to have in the chat as well,
> and feel free to invite anyone else from your team, and we'd love to keep it
> casual.

I'm actually in the bay area right now. I just finished a talk at Berkeley, and tomorrow I'm teaching a class at Stanford (Dan Boneh is teaching a grad-level seminar on Tor, anonymity, and circumvention). I think I can arrange my schedule to drop by Google on Wednesday afternoon.

> Also, if there's a contact that you have here at Google, would you
> let us know so we can include them as well?

I usually find it a good idea to cc Niels Provos <(b) (6)> on everything I do re Google.

We had a good meeting with Linus Upson <(b) (6)> the head of the Chrome team, in April of last year. He wants to bundle a Tor client in every Chrome, but I'm not sure Tor is ready for that level of deployment yet (mainly because a Tor *client* in every relay means the network will handle these clients even less well). We've also been working with the Chrome team to change Chrome's APIs so it is possible to keep Tor users safe when they use Chrome: <https://blog.torproject.org/blog/google-chrome-incognito-mode-tor-and-fingerprinting>
I'm cc'ing Mike Perry here, who is the Tor person working in this direction.

I actually just got mail earlier today from Trisha Weir <(b) (6)> from the Google "Traffic Site Reliability Engineering" team. She has machines and budget for Google helping Tor to grow "if the organizational agreements were in place". I'll send her and you an introduction mail.

We know an increasing number of people at Google, so I bet with some more details about which direction you're thinking I'll be able to name another half dozen useful people. :)

> Do you and Roger have an hour this week or next? You could let me know a few
> times and I can set it up from there. Wednesday between 2-4:30p is open if
> that is good for you, otherwise, we can work around your schedule.
>

> Let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward to hearing from you
> and chatting soon!

Talking to Andrew via phone next week sounds great, but we could get things started this Wednesday, so I can learn what you're thinking, and I can answer any questions you might have about Tor-the-design or Tor-the-organization.

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Damian Menscher](#)
Cc: [Jeff Gillis](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#); [REDACTED] [Mike Perry](#); [Minnie Ingersoll](#); [REDACTED] [Trisha Weir](#); [Niels Provos](#); [Chris DiBona](#); [Jason](#)
Subject: Re: Google & Tor
Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:54:48 PM

Hi Damian,

Here's a blog post that talks more about the research questions you raised around measuring entropy (aka security) of the Tor network:
<https://blog.torproject.org/blog/research-problem-measuring-safety-tor-network>

Alas, it mostly raises questions rather than answers them. There are some academic research groups who are looking at it. See also <https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/research>

--Roger

From: Ken Berman
To: Andrew Lewman
Cc: Roger Dingledine; Kelly DeYoe; Sho Ho
Subject: RE: haystack?
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:10:48 PM

Thx, kinda what I thought...

-----Original Message-----

From: Andrew Lewman [mailto: (b) (6)]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:01 PM
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Roger Dingledine; Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: Re: haystack?

On 02/23/2010 01:21 PM, Ken Berman wrote:

> Andrew/Roger - lots of mention of Tor in the Haystack info, but no
> real details. Sorry, we can't tell you how it works blah blah blah...
>
> Anyway, have you heard of them and any idea of how it DOES work?

We've heard of them, seen their sexy website, and have no idea what they do. Others have told us it's nothing more than openvpn or ssh tunnels between amazon or rackspace cloud computing virtual machines. However, we really have no idea.

We've tried to talk to them a few times, and include them into the larger community of circumvention companies. Every time they've declined or simply not shown up.

I met Aaron/Austin at the Clinton State Dept speech about Net Freedom. He literally couldn't get away from me fast enough. Three other people there said he was Austin from Haystack, but he introduced himself to me as Aaron from Sunlight Foundation.

That's about all I can tell you.

Haystack's attitude is of the 'secret, proprietary technology that no one knows what it does but trust us' ethos vs. the open source, transparent review ethos. On the grand scale, it remains to be seen which one works better over time. Obviously, Roger and I have placed our bets in the open source camp.

--

Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project
pgp 0x31B0974B
(b) (6)

Website: <https://torproject.org/>
Blog: <https://blog.torproject.org/>
Identi.ca: torproject

From: [Andrew Lewman](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Roger Dingledine](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Sho Ho](#)
Subject: Re: haystack?
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:00:46 PM

On 02/23/2010 01:21 PM, Ken Berman wrote:

> Andrew/Roger - lots of mention of Tor in the Haystack info, but no
> real details. Sorry, we can't tell you how it works blah blah
> blah...
>
> Anyway, have you heard of them and any idea of how it DOES work?

We've heard of them, seen their sexy website, and have no idea what they do. Others have told us it's nothing more than openvpn or ssh tunnels between amazon or rackspace cloud computing virtual machines. However, we really have no idea.

We've tried to talk to them a few times, and include them into the larger community of circumvention companies. Every time they've declined or simply not shown up.

I met Aaron/Austin at the Clinton State Dept speech about Net Freedom. He literally couldn't get away from me fast enough. Three other people there said he was Austin from Haystack, but he introduced himself to me as Aaron from Sunlight Foundation.

That's about all I can tell you.

Haystack's attitude is of the 'secret, proprietary technology that no one knows what it does but trust us' ethos vs. the open source, transparent review ethos. On the grand scale, it remains to be seen which one works better over time. Obviously, Roger and I have placed our bets in the open source camp.

--

Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project
ppp 0x31B0974B


Website: <https://torproject.org/>
Blog: <https://blog.torproject.org/>
Identi.ca: torproject

From: [Andrew Lewman](#)
To: [Demetria Anderson](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Roger Dingleline](#)
Subject: Re: Hello from Tor
Date: Thursday, October 02, 2008 2:12:05 PM

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 20:07:50 Demetria Anderson wrote:

> Greetings Andrew,

>

> I'll check into this but you should've been paid - will get back with
> you in reference to this.

Hello Demetria,

Just a status inquiry. Anything I can do to help you?

--

Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project
<https://www.torproject.org>

(b) (6)

pgp 0x31B0974B

skype://lewmanator

From: [Demetria Anderson](#)
To: [Andrew Lewman](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Roger Dingleline](#)
Subject: Re: Hello from Tor
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:07:50 PM

Greetings Andrew,

I'll check into this but you should've been paid - will get back with you in reference to this.

Thanks!

Andrew Lewman wrote:

>Hello Demetria,
>
>Sorry I missed meeting you in person last Thursday. Kelly and I discussed how
>to investigate why Tor hasn't been paid at all for the current contract. In
>the end, he deferred to you.
>
>Can you help me figure out what needs to be resolved in order to have the
>current four invoices (numbers 1 through 4) processed and paid?
>
>Thanks, in advance, for the help!
>
>
>

From: [Andrew Lewman](#)
To: [Demetria Anderson](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Roger Dingleline](#)
Subject: Re: Hello from Tor
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:43:25 PM

On Thursday 02 October 2008 13:12:05 Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 20:07:50 Demetria Anderson wrote:
> > Greetings Andrew,
> >
> > I'll check into this but you should've been paid - will get back with
> > you in reference to this.

Hello Demetria,

Any progress on this? Shall we arrange a phone call to discuss next steps?
Are we at the point where we should scrap CCR and have IBB cut us a check for
the past 5 months of invoices?

Let me know how I can help. Thanks.

--

Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project
<https://www.torproject.org>
[REDACTED]
pgp 0x31B0974B
[REDACTED]
skype://lewmanator

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:17:41 PM

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 04:16:56PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:
> Ok, 2:30 was never the time before, it was 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT. If that
> time works still, we are good at that time. If not we'll need to
> reschedule for Friday maybe.

3pm is great. I'll need to disappear an hour later, but that's fine.

--Roger

From: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
To: [Roger Dingleline](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:14:19 PM

Ok, it figures, I had just lined up everyone on this end for 4pm EDT / 1pm PDT... hmmm...

-k

Roger Dingleline wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 04:02:38PM -0400, Roger Dingleline wrote:
>
>>I have a meeting with Jonathan Zittrain, co-founder of the Berkman Center,
>>on Thursday at 14:30 EDT. Could we push the conference call back to 16:00,
>>or up to 13:30?
>
>
> Actually, my meeting with JZ just got moved to 16:30, so I would
> be happy to stay at the previous time for the conference call: 14:30.
> Hope that still works. :)
>
> Thanks,
> --Roger
>

From: [Bennett Haselton](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 4:54:35 PM

2:30 PM EDT / 11:30 AM EDT also works for me. I will talk to you guys tomorrow!

-Bennett

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Roger Dingledine [mailto:[\(b\) \(6\)](#)]

> Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2006 07:28 PM

> To: 'Kelly DeYoe'

> Cc: 'Bennett Haselton'

> Subject: Re: hey, congrats!

>

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 04:02:38PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> > I have a meeting with Jonathan Zittrain, co-founder of the Berkman Center,
> > on Thursday at 14:30 EDT. Could we push the conference call back to 16:00,
> > or up to 13:30?

>

> Actually, my meeting with JZ just got moved to 16:30, so I would
> be happy to stay at the previous time for the conference call: 14:30.
> Hope that still works. :)

>

> Thanks,

> --Roger

>

>

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 4:28:43 PM

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 04:02:38PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I have a meeting with Jonathan Zittrain, co-founder of the Berkman Center,
> on Thursday at 14:30 EDT. Could we push the conference call back to 16:00,
> or up to 13:30?

Actually, my meeting with JZ just got moved to 16:30, so I would
be happy to stay at the previous time for the conference call: 14:30.
Hope that still works. :)

Thanks,
--Roger

From: [Bennett Haselton](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:11:53 PM

Of those two choices, 4 PM EDT / 1 PM PDT works better for me, if it's a toss-up for everyone else.

-Bennett

At 04:02 PM 7/4/2006 -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:11:04PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:

> > Hey, does Thursday 7/6 at 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT work for both of you for a

>

> > conference call?

>

>Hi folks. I am now back in existence. PET was very useful at giving me

>even more directions of things that need to be done. I'll do the easy

>ones and then write down the rest at some point soon.

>

>I have a meeting with Jonathan Zittrain, co-founder of the Berkman Center,

>on Thursday at 14:30 EDT. Could we push the conference call back to 16:00,

>or up to 13:30?

>

>--Roger

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:02:38 PM

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:11:04PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:
> Hey, does Thursday 7/6 at 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT work for both of you for a
> conference call?

Hi folks. I am now back in existence. PET was very useful at giving me even more directions of things that need to be done. I'll do the easy ones and then write down the rest at some point soon.

I have a meeting with Jonathan Zittrain, co-founder of the Berkman Center, on Thursday at 14:30 EDT. Could we push the conference call back to 16:00, or up to 13:30?

--Roger

From: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Friday, June 30, 2006 6:11:04 PM

Hey, does Thursday 7/6 at 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT work for both of you for a conference call?

-k

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:13:49PM -0700, Bennett Haselton wrote:
>
>> Hey, I just heard from Kelly and others at VoA, congrats on the
>> contract. They're talking about a conference call next week so we should
>> get to talk then.
>
>
> Thanks. :)
>
> I'm in England next week though -- if you want the conference call to
> include me, perhaps July 5 or later would work better? But feel free
> to coordinate and plan things without me.
>
> --Roger
>

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Friday, June 23, 2006 12:02:19 PM

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:13:49PM -0700, Bennett Haselton wrote:
> Hey, I just heard from Kelly and others at VoA, congrats on the
> contract. They're talking about a conference call next week so we should
> get to talk then.

Thanks. :)

I'm in England next week though -- if you want the conference call to include me, perhaps July 5 or later would work better? But feel free to coordinate and plan things without me.

--Roger

From: [Bennett Haselton](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Bennett Haselton](#)
Subject: Re: hey, congrats!
Date: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 5:39:47 PM

Yeah I had just noticed that 2:30 wasn't the original time :)

OK I will be ready at 12 noon PDT / 3 PM EDT.

-Bennett

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Roger Dingledine [<mailto:> (b) (6)]

> Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2006 08:17 PM

> To: 'Kelly DeYoe'

> Cc: 'Bennett Haselton'

> Subject: Re: hey, congrats!

>

> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 04:16:56PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:

> > Ok, 2:30 was never the time before, it was 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT. If that

> > time works still, we are good at that time. If not we'll need to

> > reschedule for Friday maybe.

>

> 3pm is great. I'll need to disappear an hour later, but that's fine.

>

> --Roger

>

>

From: [Andrew Lewman](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Roger Dingledine](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#); [Kim Elliott](#); [Sho Ho](#)
Subject: Re: hot boot CDs/sticks
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010 5:23:29 PM

On 04/19/2010 01:10 PM, Ken Berman wrote:

> Roger/Andrew - would you give us a little more info on the
> Tor/Firefox bundle on it bootable CD or USB stick? Kim is one of our
> researchers, and we are playing with the idea of how to give it wider
> distribution.

Hi,

At the simplest, you download the zip file, extract it, and put the folder called "Tor Browser" on the target media. It helps to create an autorun.inf that calls "Tor Browser/Start Tor Browser.exe" on insert, so the bundle starts up. The browser bundle is designed to run self-contained.

However, it does leave some traces behind. See <https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/docs/traces.txt> for the details. We're working on figuring out how to either stop Windows from leaving traces, or to remove them on successful shutdown.

As we're creating TBB's for gnu/linux and Apple OS X, we'll create traces documentation for each operating system as well.

Feel free to ask/call with more questions.

--

Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project
pgp 0x31B0974B



Website: <https://www.torproject.org/>
Blog: <https://blog.torproject.org/>
Identi.ca: torproject

From: [Ken Berman](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Subject: Re: I met the Smartfilter CTO; any questions for him?
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:48:23 AM

Roger - thanks for this initiative., Kelly and I would like to chat with him. Ken

Roger Dingledine wrote:

>Hello diverse group of friends,
>
>At the MIT Emtech conference a few weeks ago, I met a very nice man
>named Paul Q. Judge, who is the CTO for Secure Computing, Inc -- the
>company that makes Smartfilter. Paul worked at a startup on encrypting
>email in a usable way, and his company got bought by Secure Computing
>a few years ago. Now he is CTO over such groups as Smartfilter.
>
>Either he's an extremely good actor, or he really is unaware of how the
>rest of the (at least our) world views Smartfilter.
>
>He lives in Atlanta, and I periodically visit my parents there. I plan to
>go to dinner with him in December and see if I can find any weaknesses
>we can exploit. :) Alas, it's way more complex than that -- even if
>Smartfilter backed off, Websense would eagerly jump into the void.
>
>But it's worth continuing to talk -- once we got talking in depth, he
>speculated that Smartfilter and Websense were our only real adversaries,
>since companies like Cisco don't have 100+ person R&D teams working on
>blocking patterns. One hope would be to find a way to make the arms
>race diverge, so blocking-by-companies and blocking-by-governments
>have different incentives and different requirements -- if American
>corporations don't find it worthwhile to pursue the arms race against
>blocking Tor, some of Smartfilter's motivation to pursue the arms race
>disappears (Saudi Arabia et al are a small fraction of their customers).
>
>In any case, I figured that some of you might want the chance to chat
>with him too. I don't want to overload him with fanatics, but I'd be
>happy to introduce you one at a time over the next while. Let me know
>if you're interested.
>
>--Roger
>
>
>

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Ken Berman](#); [Shava Nerad](#)
Subject: Re: IBB August report
Date: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:38:18 PM

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 01:16:59PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:
> Ken just let me know he needs to move the call to 2pm instead of 1:30pm,
> hopefully you both can make it at that time...

Hey, will you folks be around on the afternoon of Nov 1? I'll be in Alexandria part of that week for the ACM WPES and CCS conferences. (If not Nov 1, how about Nov 2?)

<http://www.csc2.ncsu.edu/workshops/wpes07/program.html>
<http://www.sigac.org/ccs/CCS2007/research-program.html>

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Ken Berman](#); [Shava Nerad](#)
Subject: Re: IBB August report
Date: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:20:56 PM

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 01:16:59PM -0400, Kelly DeYoe wrote:
> Ken just let me know he needs to move the call to 2pm instead of 1:30pm,
> hopefully you both can make it at that time...

Works for me.

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Shava Nerad](#); [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Subject: Re: IBB August report
Date: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:14:00 PM
Attachments: [Screenshot.png](#)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:16:40PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> I guess we want to focus on expectations re the "Help Chinese" type
> features that we have discussed previously.....

I've attached a screenshot of the latest interface we're playing around with.

(This is actually only the user side of the bridge interface -- the bottom third is the "I have a bridge, I want to start using it" part. The server side of the bridge interface comes later, on the "Server" screen.)

(This is just an interface, so things aren't hooked up behind the scenes yet. But I expect they will be in the next week or two.)

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingledine](#)
To: [Kelly DeYoe](#)
Cc: [Ken Berman](#); [Shava Nerad](#)
Subject: Re: IBB August report
Date: Friday, September 21, 2007 2:43:09 PM

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 01:38:18PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> <http://www.sigsac.org/ccs/CCS2007/research-program.html>

Speaking of which, you may be interested in this one:

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~crandall/concept_doppler_ccs07.pdf

(I was a reviewer on it, and Steven Murdoch helped them clean it up after that.)

--Roger

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingledine; Kelly DeYoe
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: RE: IBB monthly report: June 2008
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:55:15 AM

Yes, mucho detail....

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [mailto:(b) (6)]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 4:54 AM
To: Kelly DeYoe; Ken Berman
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: IBB monthly report: June 2008

Hi folks,

Attached is the June update for our progress. It includes the summary I provided on the June 30 conference call, but it provides much more detail.

Thanks!
--Roger

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [REDACTED]
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Monday, June 23, 2008 3:42:05 PM

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 02:39:28PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Oops, I thought it was today. As you all know, it is next week,
> so let's hold to the 3:00 time.....

Ok. That's fine too. :)

--Roger

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingledine
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: RE: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Monday, June 23, 2008 2:37:32 PM

Gents - may we move the meeting to 4:00? Sorry, called into a management 3:00.....

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [mailto:(b) (6)]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:37 PM
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 03:30:58PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Monday June 30th at 3:00? Ken

Sounds great.

--Roger

From: [Ken Berman](#)
To: [Roger Dingledine](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); [REDACTED] (b) (6)
Subject: RE: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:30:58 PM

Monday June 30th at 3:00? Ken

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [[mailto:\[REDACTED\]](mailto:[REDACTED])] (b) (6)
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:57 PM
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; [REDACTED] (b) (6)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:37:39AM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Let's do a call next Wed 6/25, 2:15. Should have some news on Russia. Ken

Next week I'll be at the Global Voices Summit in Budapest. Ethan et al are flying in 20 dissident bloggers from interesting countries, and we get to teach them what we've been working on and they get to teach us what they really need.

How about July 1, 2, 3, or Jun 30? (Or this week, but it sounds like you won't have your news on Russia by then.)

Thanks,
--Roger

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Kelly DeYoe](#); (b) (6)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Monday, June 23, 2008 3:02:36 PM

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:37:32PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Gents - may we move the meeting to 4:00? Sorry, called into a management
>3:00.....

Sure, that's fine.

--Roger

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingledine; Kelly DeYoe
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: RE: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:37:39 AM

Let's do a call next Wed 6/25, 2:15. Should have some news on Russia. Ken

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [mailto:(b) (6)]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:27 AM
To: Kelly DeYoe; Ken Berman
Cc: (b) (6)
Subject: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008

Hi folks,

Attached is the May update for our progress, as well as the doc-ified April update.

Any news on the Russia plans?

Should we set up a conference call sometime, to sync up and make sure you don't have any unresolved questions? I'm available this week and next week, ideally with a bit of warning so I can arrange my sleep schedule to match the call. :)

Thanks!
--Roger

From: Roger Dingleline
To: Ken Berman
CC: Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:37:24 PM

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 03:30:58PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Monday June 30th at 3:00? Ken

Sounds great.

--Roger

From: [Roger Dingleline](#)
To: [Ken Berman](#)
Cc: [Kelly Ulyane](#)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:56:38 PM

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:37:39AM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Let's do a call next Wed 6/25, 2:15. Should have some news on Russia. Ken

Next week I'll be at the Global Voices Summit in Budapest. Ethan et al are flying in 20 dissident bloggers from interesting countries, and we get to teach them what we've been working on and they get to teach us what they really need.

How about July 1, 2, 3, or Jun 30? (Or this week, but it sounds like you won't have your news on Russia by then.)

Thanks,
--Roger

From: Ken Berman
To: Roger Dingledine
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: RE: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Monday, June 23, 2008 3:39:28 PM

Ooops, I thought it was today. As you all know, it is next week, so let's hold to the 3:00 time.....

-----Original Message-----

From: Roger Dingledine [mailto:(b) (6)]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 2:03 PM
To: Ken Berman
Cc: Kelly DeYoe; (b) (6)
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 01:37:32PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Gents - may we move the meeting to 4:00? Sorry, called into a management
> 3:00.....

Sure, that's fine.

--Roger

From: Roger Dingledine
To: Ken Berman; Kelly DeYoe
Cc: [REDACTED]
Subject: Re: IBB monthly reports: April and May 2008
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008 3:29:47 PM

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 03:30:58PM -0400, Ken Berman wrote:
> Monday June 30th at 3:00? Ken

I am back and in one piece.

Here are some pre-call thoughts:

- A week or so ago, China added ".torproject.org" as a keyword that causes RSTs to get sent. <https://foo.torproject.org/> (e.g. www, blog, svn, etc) still works fine, but I bet a lot of people won't think to try https.
- Along those lines, we've been working on new ways to let people get Tor. See e.g. <http://www.torproject.org/finding-tor>
- The new Pootle translation server is up and kicking. We put in an extra gig of ram and suddenly it became manageably fast rather than horribly slow.
<https://translation.torproject.org/>
We're working on some instructions to help people with Pootle and to help people with our WML-based website translation:
<https://www.torproject.org/translation-portal>
- There is a rich newspaper guy in Hong Kong who wants to fund deployment of many USB keys with Tor Browser Bundle on them, for use in China by his journalists and related folks. We're working with him to try to keep that moving.
- We have a "split download" page for Tor Browser Bundle, that breaks them into 10 pieces so folks on modems using IE will have an easier time getting them.
<https://www.torproject.org/torbrowser/split.html.en>
- Here are some instructions to describe bridges and how to get them:
<https://www.torproject.org/bridges>
- The latest Vidalia bundle has UPnP support. If you go to the 'Sharing' page and ask to be a relay, there's an "Attempt to automatically configure port forwarding" checkbox. We also added a "Test" button so you can see interactively if your firewall is likely to actually work with that.
- The newest Tor Browser Bundle (1.1.0) includes the new Tor 0.2.1.2-alpha / Vidalia 0.1.5, which have a snazzy "progress bar" for when Tor is bootstrapping, that tells you what step it's on and lets you know when Tor thinks it will fail to bootstrap (e.g. because your network is down or the Tor network is blocked).
<https://www.torproject.org/torbrowser/>
The latest TBB also includes Pidgin + OTR, if you fetch the "Tor IM Browser Bundle".